Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cloth Baby Wipes

A few weeks ago I was inspired by Janelle's post on cloth wipes.  She says that her cloth wipes are one of her favourite parts of cloth diapering.  After making some cloth wipes of my own, I can see why.

First of all, they are super easy to make.  I used a cotton towel ($3.00 at the grocery store) and a bunch of flannel I already had on hand.  For this batch most of the wipes are faily unisex, although I really can't see a boy baby minding if I wipe his bum with a pink wipe. 

I cut the fabric and towel into pieces measuring 8 inches by 5 inches, after checking around the internet to see what people recommended.  It seems like a good size to me, not too big, not to small. 

I used my new favourite stitch on my sewing machine (blanket stitch) and hemmed around the whole rectangle, sewing the two pieces of fabric together, right sides out.  You could also sew them wrong sides together and then flip right sides out, but I really didn't feel like hand sewing for this project.

Finally, I used a straight stitch to sew diagonally from one corner to the other, this just keeps all the fabric from moving around as you wipe (I'm guessing).

I finished 12 wipes in a few hours.  I know, it seems like a long time, and I'm sure this batch would last about a day with a newborn, but, it's a start.  They are bright and fun and super soft.  I'll be making a lot more of these in the future.














1 comment:

  1. They look so cute! You did a great job on them. You'll enjoy wiping your baby's bum with them too! :D

    BTW, thank you for linking my blog!

    ReplyDelete