Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Plucking Plushie! (it all turned out okay)

I must learn that I should not be crafty under the follow circumstances:
  • When I am rushed
  • When I am tired
  • When I am hungry
  • When I am cranky
  • When I am late
  • When I should be working
and finally, when I can't be bothered to read the pattern because the project looks so utterly simple.

Today I was crafty under 3 of those circumstances (rushed... hungry and I should have been working...). It was not pretty.

I often browse around my favourite knitting and sewing sites in the middle of my work day. It gives my head and eyes a break and keeps me happier. I often find crafty items that I want to make, like, NOW.

Today I decided to make one of Chez Beeper Bebe's Rainbow Sunshine Plushie.

 [PS. You can download the tutorial here, but it's worth reading the associated blog entry too!]

 
They're really cute and I have a baby gift I am trying to put together over the next week or so.

"Great," I thought, "I can Make Two and Give One. Easy!"  I printed out the template and headed to my sewing area.

"These should be really quick," I thought.

I cut out the pattern and cut lengths of ribbin. I pinned them down and started sewing. My sewing machine kept beeping at me, I checked the thread, it was fine, I checked a few other things, also fine. The sewing was going well except for that annoying beeping which also made the sewing machine stop sewing...

The whole time I was thinking to myself, "I HOPE this is right, maybe I should have read the pattern..."

The machine kept beeping, I kept sewing.

OF COURSE THINGS WERE NOT RIGHT! I swear my sewing machine was trying to warn me that I was doing everything wrong... but I just kept sewing, blissfully unaware.

There isn't actually that much sewing for the project, so I stopped and went to flip the whole thing right side out, so I could stuff it -












"Hey- where'd all the ribbon thingy's go??".














Yep, it's true, I pinned the ribbon things on WRONG and they were all beautifully sewn INSIDE the plushie.

It's no one's fault but my own. I should know better. I DO know better.

The second plushie went better. Of course, that was the plushie I was intending to keep for me... I guess I will spend some time tonight pulling out the stitches from the plushie-gone-wrong and trying again.

It pains me to post this here - I am embarassed and I hate doing things wrong. I am a perfectionist to the core and I toss and turn at night over things like this. I am hoping, however, that by posting here maybe others will try to cut themselves some slack.

We all do silly things. Most often, our silly mistakes can be fixed or better yet, learned from.

Will I learn from this mistake? Maybe...

Will I make more mistakes? You bet. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Here are the finished plushies.

























PS.  Although I swear my sewing machine was trying to warn me of my own stupidity with all the beeping and stopping, in reality, I noticed later that the power cord was very loose.  Coincidence?  I think not.  The sewing machine very clearly shook the power cord loose in a vain attempt to warn me of the impeding doom.  I am a knucklehead and next time I will listen to the sewing machine rather than myself.  What do I know anyways?

No comments:

Post a Comment